By the author of Dog Man.
What is the Captain Underpants series about?
Coming from American author and illustrator Dav Pilkey, Captain Underpants is a series of children’s books.
The story follows the adventures of two fourth-grade boys, George Beard and Harold Hutchins, who create a comic book featuring a superhero named Captain Underpants.
The character of Captain Underpants is the alter-ego of their school principal, Mr. Krupp. When George and Harold hypnotize Mr. Krupp, he turns into Captain Underpants, a superhero who fights crime in his underwear. The character is known for his childlike humor, irreverence, and silly antics, which have made him popular with young readers.
The books have been widely successful, with millions of copies sold around the world, and have also been adapted into a popular animated TV series and a feature film.
Also, Dog Man is a spin-off of the Captain Underpants series.
Captain Underpants Books in Order:
The Captain Underpants novels
- The Adventures of Captain Underpants (1997) – George and Harold are a couple of class clowns. The only thing they enjoy more than playing practical jokes is creating their own comic books. And together they’ve created the greatest superhero in the history of their elementary school: Captain Underpants! His true identity is SO secret, even HE doesn’t know who he is!
- Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets (1999) – George and Harold are usually responsible kids — whenever anything bad happens, George and Harold are usually responsible! This time, they accidentally invent an army of terrifying talking toilets. Luckily, they know a superhero with enough snap in his waistband to save the day! This looks like another job for the amazing Captain Underpants!
- Captain Underpants and the Invasion of the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outer Space (and the Subsequent Assault of the Equally-Evil Lunchroom Zombie Nerds) (1999) – George and Harold have played a trick or two on nearly everyone at Jerome Horwitz Elementary. When their latest prank causes the school’s cranky cafeteria ladies to quit, Mr. Krupp hires a trio of unusual replacements — who happen to look an awful lot like aliens! Will that curtain-caped crusader, Captain Underpants, save the day once more? Or will those outer-space cafeteria ladies have him for lunch?
- Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants (2000) – George and Harold are fourth-grade buddies with a penchant for practical jokes. When the boys’ latest prank drives their science teacher over the edge, their clueless principal, Mr. Krupp, quickly hires a replacement: Professor Pippy P. Poopypants. Of course, George and Harold can’t resist making fun of the Professor’s silly name. But then the Professor retaliates by forcing everyone in town to change their own names to be equally silly, with colossal consequences!
- Captain Underpants and the Wrath of the Wicked Wedgie Woman (2001) – George and Harold are always good at using their imaginations, and that drives their mean homeroom teacher, Ms. Ribble, crazy! But this time, they’ve come up with much more than a silly prank… With her horrendous hairdo and two rabid robots, Wedgie Woman is well on her way to world domination, and only the Waistband Warrior can stop her!
- Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 1: The Night of the Nasty Nostril Nuggets (2003) – George and Harold are up to their old tricks again, and when their latest prank makes a direct hit on school brainiac Melvin, he decides to get even! But in the blink of an eye — and the sneeze of a nose — the Bionic Booger Boy is born! Can Captain Underpants clean up this catastrophe, or will the mucous monster make a mess of things?
- Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 2: The Revenge of the Ridiculous Robo-Boogers (2003) – George and Harold thought they were beyond boogers. Their new pet, Sulu the Bionic Hamster, had defeated the Bionic Booger Boy, and through the wonders of science, Melvin Sneedly had been brought back to normal (well, almost normal). It looked like their last adventure was actually going to have a happy ending… except for one thing (well, three things) — the Ridiculous Robo-Boogers. Now George, Harold, and their buddies are on the run — with the Robo-Boogers in hot, gooey pursuit! Will the boys get away from these gross globs, or will Sulu have to save the day again?
- Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People (2006) – The teachers are nice, the cafeteria serves delicious food, and the school principal, Mr. Krupp, thinks George and Harold are hilarious. Something is very, very wrong — and it gets even wronger when the boys’ pet pterodactyl, Crackers, and Sulu the Bionic Hamster are captured by George and Harold’s evil-twin look-alikes. Now George and Harold must face their greatest foes yet: THEMSELVES! Can they handle this mess on their own, or will they need Captain Underpants to swoop in and save the day?
- Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Return of Tippy Tinkletrousers (2012) – George and Harold are behind bars for a crime they didn’t commit! But just as they are settling into their new life, they are pulled from prison by a time-traveling tyrant named Tippy Tinkletrousers! Now the boys are taking a trip back in time to the carefree days of kindergarten, when the scariest thing they had to face was not evil mad scientists or alien cafeteria ladies but a sixth-grade bully named Kipper Krupp, the nephew of their clueless school principal. And because George and Harold don’t invent Captain Underpants until they’re in fourth grade, the clever kindergartners are on their own.
- Captain Underpants and the Revolting Revenge of the Radioactive Robo-Boxers (2013) – George and Harold have been turned into evil zombie nerds doomed to roam a devastated, postapocalyptic planet for all eternity! Unfortunately, the boys can’t count on Captain Underpants for help because Tippy Tinkletrousers and his time-traveling hijinks prevented George and Harold from creating him in the first place! With Tippy having changed the course of human history forever, George and Harold will have to figure out a way to change it back!
- Captain Underpants and the Tyrannical Retaliation of the Turbo Toilet 2000 (2014) – Just when you thought it was safe to flush, the Turbo Toilet 2000 strikes back! The carnivorous commode known for devouring everything in its path has built up a real appetite… for REVENGE! Luckily, the fate of humanity is once again in the hands of George and Harold and their annoying nemesis Melvin Sneedly. Will Wedgie Power prevail? Or will the amazing Captain Underpants be flushed away forever?
- Captain Underpants and the Sensational Saga of Sir Stinks-A-Lot (2015) – George and Harold, and their doubles, Yesterday George and Yesterday Harold, have a good thing going. Two of them go to school, while the other two hide in the tree house and play video games all day — then they switch! But it turns out there’s something rotten in the state of Ohio, and it’s smellier than a pile of putrid gym socks. The boys’ malicious gym teacher, Mr. Meaner, has created a method of mind control that transforms their fellow students into attentive, obedient, perfect children. Now it’s all in George and Harold and Yesterday George and Yesterday Harold’s hands!
The Captain Underpants activity books
- The Captain Underpants Extra-Crunchy Book o’ Fun (2001) – They defeated Dr. Diaper! They trampled the terrible Talking Toilets! They crushed the crazy Cafeteria Ladies from outer space! And they prevented preposterous Professor Poopypants from pulverizing the planet! Now George and Harold are back for more fun and games with their wedgie-powered superhero, Captain Underpants!
- The All-New Captain Underpants Extra-Crunchy Book o’ Fun 2 (2002) – You’ll laugh! You’ll cry! You’ll wet your pants with joy when you join George and Harold for more fun ‘n’ games with the amazing Captain Underpants and the world’s smallest superhero, Super Diaper Baby. Learn how to draw your favorite characters, tell cheesy jokes, and even make your own silly Captain Underpants story.
- The Captain Underpants Super Silly Sticker Studio (2005)
The Captain Underpants spin-offs
- The Adventures of Super Diaper Baby (2002) – Oh, no! It looks like George and Harold are in trouble again… As punishment, the boys have to write a 100-page report on “good citizenship,” and they have been specifically ordered NOT to make another comic about Captain Underpants. So what do they do? They create an all-new superhero… Super Diaper Baby! Super Diaper Baby’s archenemy, Deputy Dangerous, wants to steal his powers and take over the planet. Will the diaper-wearing dynamo defeat the deputy, or is the entire Earth doomed?
- The Adventures of Ook and Gluk: Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future (2010) – It’s 500,001 BC, and Ook and Gluk’s hometown of Caveland, Ohio, is under attack by an evil corporation from the future. When Ook, Gluk, and their little dinosaur pal Lily are pulled through a time portal to 2222, they discover a future world that’s even more devastated than their own. Luckily, they find a friend in Master Wong, a martial arts instructor who trains them in the ways of kung fu. Now all they have to do is travel back in time 502,223 years and save the day!
- Super Diaper Baby 2: The Invasion of the Potty Snatchers (2011) – Dr. Dilbert Dinkle started his career as an ordinary, everyday evil genius/inventor/bank robber. But when he awakens one day transformed into a walking, talking puddle of pee, he vows to destroy every toilet in town. Will the devious Dr. Dinkle and his conniving cat, Petey, ruin restrooms for the rest of us? Or could this be a job for the death-defying duo of Super Diaper Baby and Diaper Dog?
What should you read if you like the Captain Underpants books?
If you like David Pilkey’s Captain Underpants series, you may also want to see our the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. Don’t hesitate to follow us on Twitter or Facebook to discover more book series.