Reading Calvin and Hobbes is the best way to kill time while we wait for life to shower us with meaning and happiness.
What is Calvin and Hobbes about?
The classic Calvin and Hobbes is a daily American comic strip created by cartoonist Bill Watterson that was syndicated from November 18, 1985 to December 31, 1995.
It follows the adventures of Calvin, a precocious, mischievous and adventurous six-year-old boy, and Hobbes, his sardonic stuffed tiger. A smart child with poor grades in school, Calvin has a creative and philosophical mind, but lack in restraint. He has a rich inner world, and a precious friendship with his tiger. The anthropomorophic tiger is an independant creature with a dim view of human nature. He participates to all Calvin’s activites, even when he knows it’s gonne end in troubles. Calvin’s parents are typical middle-class, his father a patent attorney and his mother a stay-at-home mom. Calvin also interacts with Susie Derkins, a classmate who lives in the same street, Rosalyn, his babysitter, Mrs Wormwood, his teacher and Moe, the school bully.
Calvin and Hobbes Books in Order:
- Calvin and Hobbes – Strips from November 18, 1985 to August 17, 1986. Foreword by Garry Trudeau.
- Something Under the Bed Is Drooling – Strips from August 18, 1986 to May 23, 1987. Foreword by Pat Oliphant.
All strips from Calvin and Hobbes and Something Under the Bed Is Drooling. Foreword by Charles M. Schulz.
- Yukon Ho! – Strips from May 24, 1987 to February 21, 1988.
- Weirdos from Another Planet! – Strips from February 22, 1988 to December 4, 1988. Some strips from November are also found in The Revenge of the Baby-Sat.
All strips from Yukon Ho! and Weirdos from Another Planet! Includes Seven-page story in which Calvin becomes an elephant.
- The Revenge of the Baby-Sat – Strips from December 5, 1988 to September 10, 1989.
- Scientific Progress Goes “Boink” – Strips from September 11, 1989 to July 7, 1990. Some strips from June and July are also found in Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons.
All strips from The Revenge of the Baby-Sat and Scientific Progress Goes “Boink” and Several illustrated poems.
- Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons – Strips from July 8, 1990 to April 10, 1991.
- The Days Are Just Packed – Strips from April 11, 1991 to November 1, 1992 excluding May 5, 1991 to Feb 1, 1992 due to repeats.
- Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat – Strips from November 2, 1992 to August 29, 1993.
- There’s Treasure Everywhere – Strips from August 30, 1993 to April 8, 1995 excluding April 3 to December 31, 1994 due to repeats. Some strips from March and April 1995 are also found in It’s a Magical World.
- It’s a Magical World – Strips from March 20, 1995 to December 31, 1995. Some strips from March and April are also found in There’s Treasure Everywhere.
No new strips in those anthologies, but insight into the cartooning process and other original materials.
- The Calvin and Hobbes Lazy Sunday Book: A Collection of Sunday Calvin and Hobbes Cartoons – Strips from May 24, 1987 to July 30, 1989. Sunday strips only.
- The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book – Collection of strips chosen by the author. Commentary by Watterson and annotations on individual strips.
- Calvin and Hobbes: Sunday Pages, 1985-1995 – Collection of Sunday strips chosen by the author. Original sketches and commentary by Watterson.
- Teaching with Calvin and Hobbes – Rare piece of officially licensed Calvin and Hobbes merchandise. Fifty-seven strips comprising five stories: “The Binoculars,” “The Find,” “The Christmas Story,” “The Bug Collection,” and “The Report”.
- Exploring Calvin and Hobbes: An Exhibition Catalogue – Catalogue for the exhibit by the same name at the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum at Ohio State University. Original art and commentary by Watterson.
The Complete Calvin and Hobbes
- The Complete Calvin and Hobbes hardcover or paperback – All their adventures in this four-volume collection of every comic strip from the comic strip’s eleven year history (1985 to 1996).