As explained in the Buffyverse Comics Reading Order, Dark Horse Comics’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer license expired at the end of 2018, and the license is now in the hands of BOOM! Studios who relaunched the series in 2019 and followed 3 months later with an Angel title. The publisher didn’t lose time and offered the first cross-over event, Hellmouth.
What is the Hellmouth event about?
Written by Jordie Bellaire and Jeremy Lambert and illustrated by Eleonora Carlini and Marco Renna, Hellmouth is a miniseries of the crossover event tying into the Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel comic book series.
As Boom Studios explain to us, Buffy and her Scooby Gang will have to muster all their strength as they deal with an open Hellmouth that threatens the lives of everyone they love in Sunnydale. Meanwhile, Angel, the vampire cursed with a soul, arrives in town to find his redemption by doing whatever it takes to close the Hellmouth… and no human, demon, or Slayer will stand in his way.
Hellmouth Reading Order:
I. Before the Hellmouth Event
As Boom Studios reboot the Buffyverse few months before the event, you can read the issues published before to have a better understanding of this reboot :
- Buffy: High School Is Hell – Buffy the Vampire Slayer is reimagined. Go back to school with the slayer as she wants friends, decent grades, and to escape her imposed destiny as the next in a long line of vampire slayers tasked with defeating the forces of evil… Collects Buffy (2019) #1–4
- Buffy: Once Bitten – Buffy Summers, the Chosen One meant to save the world from the literal evil forces of hell — must save her friend Xander before he dies… and returns as a vampire. Buffy must face the hardest choice of her already not-so-easy life: save her friend or stop her new enemies, Drusilla (AKA The Mistress) and Spike from opening the Hellmouth. But where does the mysterious vampire with a soul named Angel fit into this mess? Collects Buffy (2019) #5–8
- Angel: Being Human – Angel walks the line between two worlds; a vampire cursed with a soul, he’s spent centuries battling back the forces that would destroy humanity, in an attempt to redeem himself for the crimes committed by the monster he was when he was first turned. But now, on the trail of the most recent demonic uprising, he realizes that the redemption he seeks can only come at a startling price. Collects Angel (2019) #0–4
- Chosen Ones – Collected stories about chosen ones before Buffy, including the story « Mission » that takes place in the year 1808, in Sunnydale and reveal the hidden origins of the Sunnydale Hellmouth.
II. Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel: Hellmouth Event
a. Collected editions
The main story Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel: Hellmouth has been collected in a TPB, but if you want the complete story – with the tie-in from Buffy and Angel – each series also has a collected edition.
- Buffy: From Beneath You – Drusilla has opened the Hellmouth! With no time to waste, Buffy must do what any good Slayer would do — namely running directly into the heart of the problem. Collects Buffy (2019) #9–12.
- Angel: City of Demons – With Angel trapped in the Hellmouth, the city of Los Angeles only has one hopes — and it’s Spike? Collects Angel (2019) #9–12.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel: Hellmouth – Buffy and Angel meet face-to-face in the world-ending event hundreds of years in the making—the opening of the gates to the Hellmouth! Collects Hellmouth#1-5.
b. Hellmouth Event, The Reading Order By Issue :
As the story unfolds, the events are related from different perspectives and issues happens in parallels to each other. Here is the reading order :
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer #8
- Angel #5 (The Road to Hellmouth)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel: Hellmouth #1 (of 5)
- Angel #6 (Tie-in)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer #9 (Tie-in)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel: Hellmouth #2 (of 5)
- Angel #7 (Tie-in)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer #10 (Tie-in)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel: Hellmouth #3 (of 5)
- Angel #8 (Tie-in)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer #11 (Tie-in)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel: Hellmouth #4 (of 5)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer #12 (Tie-in)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel: Hellmouth #5 (of 5)
For more Buffy, go to : Buffyverse Comics Reading Order: How to read Buffy/Angel comics?