I recently read that there will soon be some new story (in the rebirth era) that will take place after the Zero Year events. I’m still a bit confused about the continuity between the two eras, but I liked a lot Snyder’s run and I think it’s a good thing to build on what he wrote.
What Batman Zero Year is about?
Zero Year is a yearlong crossover event published between June 2013 and July 2014 and written by Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV. This story takes us back six years in the past and redefine the origin of Batman in The New 52.
Everything begins with Bruce Wayne’s return to Gotham City. He starts fighting the Red Hood gang. Those events will lead to the birth of the Batman and to a flood in Gotham that will leave him for dead. When he comes back, he has to free the city that has fallen and is now under the control of one of his worst enemies.
Batman Zero Year Reading order:
I. Reading the TPBs
As always, theres two ways to read an event like this. The first one is with the TPBs, the second withe all the issues. So, first things first:
- Batman, Vol. 4: Zero Year – Secret City (collects Batman #21-24)
- DC Comics: Zero Year – collects Batman #24-25, Detective Comics #25, Batgirl #25, Batwing #25, Batwoman #25, Birds of Prey #25, Catwoman #25, The Flash #25, Green Arrow #25, Green Lantern Corps #25, Nightwing #25, Red Hood and The Outlaws #25 and Action Comics #25)
- Batman, Vol, 5: Zero Year – Dark City (collects Batman #25-27, #29-33)
II. Reading the issues
If you want to read the Batman: Zero Year event but you’re not interested in the TPBS for some reason, this is the order you need to follow (and the real reason for this article). This is all of the issue published under the banner “Zero Year”. That said, the non-batman ones are mostly optional, especially the non-batfamily ones :
- Batman (vol. 2) #0 – The beginning of the New 52’s Batman with 2 stories. The first is a prologue of sort to the issue #21
- Batman (vol. 2) #21 – Zero Year: Secret City starts here
- Batman (vol. 2) #22
- Batman (vol. 2) #23
- Batman (vol. 2) Annual #2 – quite optional, there’s a flashback sets during Zero Year.
- Batman (vol. 2) #24
- Detective Comics (vol. 2) #25 – a Jim Gordon story
- Batwing #25
- Action Comics (vol. 2) #25
- Green Arrow (vol. 5) #25
- Batman (vol. 2) #25 – Zero Year: Dark City starts here
- Nightwing (vol. 3) #25
- Batgirl (vol. 4) #25
- Green Lantern Corps (vol. 3) #25
- Red Hood and the Outlaws #25
- Batwoman (vol. 2) #25
- Birds of Prey (vol. 3) #25
- Catwoman (vol. 4) #25
- The Flash (vol. 4) #25
- Batman (vol. 2) #26
- Batman (vol. 2) #27
- Batman (vol. 2) #29
- Batman (vol. 2) #30
- Batman (vol. 2) #31
- Batman (vol. 2) #32
- Batman (vol. 2) #33