Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.
Who better than a former New York prosecutor can write about crimes in the Big Apple?
What is the Alexandra Cooper series about?
American author and former prosecutor, Linda Fairstein used to work as the head of the sex crimes unit of the Manhattan District Attorney’s office and her speciality was crimes of violence against women and children. Now she writes about it in the Alexandra Cooper series.
Alexandra Cooper is Manhattan’s top sex crimes prosecutor. Working with her friends and colleagues NYPD detectives Mike Chapman and Mercer Wallace, she goes after the worst criminals the city has to offer.
How to read the Alexandra Cooper Books in Order?
Every book in the Alexandra Cooper series works as a standalone story, but the lives of the different characters evolve from one novel to the other.
- Final Jeopardy – Manhattan’s top sex crimes prosecutor, Alexandra Cooper awakens one morning to shoking news: a tabloid headline announcing her own brutal murder. But the actual victim was Isabella Lascar, the Hollywood film star who sought refuge at Alex’s Martha’s Vineyard retreat. Was Isabella targeted by a stalker or — mistaken for Alex — was she in the wrong place at the wrong time?
- Likely To Die – New York City’s oldest and largest medical center is the scene of a ghastly attack: top neurosurgeon Gemma Dogen is found in her blood-soaked office, where she has been sexually assaulted, stabbed, and designated by the cops as a “likely to die.” By the time Alexandra Cooper has plunged into the case, it’s a high-profile, media-infested murder investigation.
- Cold Hit – Alexandra Cooper has seen many murder victims, but few more disturbing than the silk-clad body of a woman, her hands and feet tied to a ladder, pulled from the turbulent waters at Manhattan’s northern tip. With her colleagues, including NYPD detectives Mike Chapman and Mercer Wallace, Alex races against the clock and hopes for a “cold hit” — a DNA match that would reveal the identity of the murderer by linking the crime to someone already in the police database.
- The Deadhouse – On Roosevelt Island, a strip of land in New York City’s East River, stands an abandoned 19th century smallpox asylum, “The Deadhouse,” where the afflicted were shipped off to die. For Alexandra Cooper, it may be the key to a shocking murder that cuts deeper than the arctic cold front gripping the city.
- The Bone Vault – In the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s exquisite Temple of Dendur, a monument to an ancient world, a very modern debate is raging at a gala dinner: a controversial new exhibit is fiercely opposed by many among the upper echelon of museum donors. Alexandra Cooper steps into this highly charged ring of power players only to make a much more troubling discovery: a young museum researcher has been murdered.
- The Kills – Alexandra Cooper is working feverishly on a tough trial, seeking justice for investment banker Paige Vallis. But in a heated “he said, she said” case, Alex learns that Paige herself has something to hide. Uptown, the murder of an elderly woman with an intriguing past has NYPD officer Mercer Wallace and detective Mike Chapman hunting for an item of stunning value that may have cost McQueen Ransome her life.
- Entombed – It was a crime scene Edgar Allan Poe himself could have conjured, only it was all too real: workers demolishing a nineteenth-century Greenwich Village brownstone where Poe once lived unearthed the skeleton of a young woman — buried standing upright behind a brick wall. Alexandra Cooper takes on the gruesome case while in pursuit of the Silk Stocking Rapist, who is terrorizing the Upper East Side.
- Death Dance – Teaming up with longtime friends and colleagues, Mike Chapman and Mercer Wallace, Alexandra Cooper investigates the disappearance of a world-famous dancer, who has vanished from the Metropolitan Opera House.
- Bad Blood – Alexandra Cooper has a tough case to prosecute. Brendan Quillan, a wealthy businessman from the Upper East Side, has been charged with hiring an assassin to kill his wife, but the evidence is flimsy and the defendant has one of the most successful defence lawyers on his side.
- Killer Heat – In District Attorney Alexandra Cooper’s line of work, the discovery of a corpse isn’t unusual. Not even the corpse of a young woman who was bound, bludgeoned and tortured to death. It’s the location which is unusual – an abandoned Ferry Terminal at the southern tip of Manhattan. The ferries from here only went to one destination, the now uninhabited Governors Island. Also known as Ghost Island.
- Lethal Legacy – When Alexandra Cooper is summoned to Tina Barr’s apartment on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, she finds a neighbor convinced that the young woman was assaulted. But the terrified victim, a conservator of rare books and maps, refuses to cooperate with investigators. Then another woman is found murdered in that same apartment with an extremely valuable book, believed to have been stolen.
- Hell Gate – New York City politics have always been filled with intrigue and shady deals. Alexandra Cooper and her NYPD colleagues find themselves investigating a shipwreck involving human cargo – illegally trafficked immigrants – at the same time a sex scandal threatens the career of a promising young congressman.
- Silent Mercy – When the burnt headless body of a young woman is found on the steps of a Baptist Church in Harlem, Alexandra Cooper is one of the first on the shocking scene. With NYPD cop Mike Chapman, Alex begins to investigate, but before long another woman is slaughtered and found on the steps of a Catholic church in Little Italy.
- Night Watch – Forty-eight hours after Alexandra Cooper arrives in France to visit her restaurateur boyfriend, Luc Rouget, her holiday is cut short when a young woman is found murdered. Before the investigation begins, Alex is summoned back home to handle a high profile case.
- Death Angel – In New York’s Central Park, Alexandra Cooper and Detective Mike Chapman race to track down a serial killer before yet another young woman is found dead. The enormous urban park may very well become a hunting ground at night for a killer with a twisted mind .
- Terminal City – When the body of a woman is found in one of the most prestigious hotels in Manhattan, Alexandra Cooper and Detective Mike Chapman find themselves hunting for an elusive killer whose signature is carving a symbol, bearing a striking resemblance to train tracks, into his victims’ bodies.
- Devil’s Bridge – The Manhattan waterfront is one of New York City’s most magnificent vistas. But Detective Mike Chapman is about to become far too well acquainted with the dangerous side of the Hudson river and its islands when he takes on his most personal case yet: the disappearance of Alexandra Cooper .
- Killer Look – New York City is one of the fashion capitals of the world, well-known for its glamour and style. Yet high fashion means high stakes, as Alexandra Cooper quickly discovers when businessman and designer Wolf Savage is found dead in an apparent suicide, days before the biggest show of his career.
- Deadfall – Assistant DA Alexandra Cooper and NYPD detectives Mike Chapman and Mercer Wallace are dealing with the shocking drive-by murder of someone Alex has worked with for years, but investigations into the death provide more questions than answers as a tangled mess of secrets slowly comes to light.
- Blood Oath – Alexandra Cooper takes on the case of a young woman who testified years earlier at a landmark Federal trial – and now reveals that she was sexually assaulted by a prominent law enforcement official during that time. As the case grows more complex, Alex, along with Mike Chapman and Mercer Wallace, find themselves in uncharted territory within Manhattan’s Rockefeller University.