Life will never be the same. #Hessa
What is After about?
Written by American author Anna Todd, The After series is a young-adult romance series that was originally published on Wattpad before being picked up by Gallery Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. It has now been translated into several languages and the first two books have been adapted into movies.
The series started as fan-fiction, as it was initially inspired by the music and fandom of One Direction. The singer Harry Styles is the model for the protagonist, Hardin Scott. The series relates the complicated relationship between the nice Tessa Young and the bad boy Hardin Scott. Beware, the series is criticised for romanticising abuse as the characters have a toxic relationship.
The After Books in Order:
- After — Tessa is a good girl with a sweet, reliable boyfriend back home. She’s got direction, ambition, and a mother who’s intent on keeping her that way. But she’s barely moved into her freshman dorm when she runs into Hardin. With his tousled brown hair, cocky British accent, and tattoos, Hardin is cute and different from what she’s used to. But he’s also rude — to the point of cruelty, even. Despite the reckless way he treats her, Tessa is compelled to dig deeper and find the real Hardin beneath all his lies. He pushes her away again and again, yet every time she pushes back, he only pulls her in deeper. Tessa already has the perfect boyfriend. So why is she trying so hard to overcome her own hurt pride and Hardin’s prejudice about nice girls like her? Unless…could this be love?
- After We Collided — After a tumultuous beginning to their relationship, Tessa and Hardin were on the path to making things work. She knew he could be cruel, but when a bombshell revelation is dropped about the origins of their relationship—and Hardin’s mysterious past—Tessa is beside herself. She put so much on hold for Hardin—school, friends, her mom, a relationship with a guy who really loved her, and now possibly even a promising new career. She needs to move forward with her life. Hardin knows he made a mistake, possibly the biggest one of his life. He’s not going down without a fight. But can he change? Will he change…for love?
- After We Fell — Just as Tessa makes the biggest decision of her life, everything changes. Revelations about first her family, and then Hardin’s, throw everything they knew before in doubt and makes their hard-won future together more difficult to claim. Tessa knows Hardin loves her and will do anything to protect her, but there’s a difference between loving someone and being able to have them in your life. Love used to be enough to hold them together. But if Tessa follows her heart now, will it be…the end?
- After Ever Happy — It’s never been all rainbows and sunshine for Tessa and Hardin, but each new challenge they’ve faced has only made their passionate bond stronger and stronger. But when a revelation about the past shakes Hardin’s inpenetrable façade to the core—and then Tessa suffers a tragedy—will they stick together again, or be torn apart?
- Before — Presented as a prequel, but has to be read after the fourth book. the book explores Hardin Scott’s life before Tessa, reveals what happens after After, and gives new insights on their turbulent romance.
The Landon Duology, the spin-off series
The series spawned this spin-off duology that followed Landon Gibson’s life after the events of After Ever Happy.
- Nothing More — New York’s skyscrapers and hectic pace are a far cry from where Landon Gibson grew up, and the transition to New York University has been jarring. But he’s getting the hang of things, found a job that pays (some of) the bills, enjoys school, and only occasionally runs into his ex, Dakota. You know, the one he chose NYU for…before she dumped him. Landon’s always been a positive person. But such a loud, demanding city so far away from home means you only get by with a little help from your friends. And a good pair of headphones.
- Nothing Less — Landon Gibson has always been the nice guy, the one who would do anything for anyone — selfless to a fault. And while he’s not on some mission to lose his innate kindness, he’s realizing he needs to stick up for himself more, to figure out what he wants and not be shy about it. Especially when dealing with an ex-girlfriend who runs hot and cold — treating him badly one day, then proclaiming her need for him the next. And maybe even more especially when faced with the mysterious Nora — a girl with at least two names and a thousand sides to her, some of which really want to jump him, some of which keep pulling her away.