Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.
The story of the Baudelaire orphans.
What is the Series of Unfortunate Events about?
Let’s start with a presentation. I’d like to write it in the style of Lemony Snicket (the pen name of American novelist Daniel Handler), but I don’t have the talent to do it. So, I’ll do it my way with basic facts. It’s not fun, but it’ll do the trick.
The story of ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events’ follows Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire. After their parent’s death, the three children are placed in the custody of Count Olaf, a terrible character who’ll stop at nothing to steal their inheritance. A lot of shenanigans follow.
Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events was adapted for television by Netflix in 2017 with Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf. The First three books were also adapted into one movie in 2004 with Jim Carrey as Count Olaf and Meryl Streep as Aunt Josephine.
How to read the Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events Books in Order?
- The Bad Beginning – The beginning of the story. Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire learn that their parents have died in a fire that destroyed their home. They can’t live by themselves and are placed in the care of Count Olaf, a distant relative they had never heard of him before.
- The Reptile Room – Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire have been placed under the care of their closest living relative, herpetologist, Dr. Montgomery Montgomery, or ‘Uncle Monty’, and they are going to accompany him on a trip to Peru to study snakes.
- The Wide Window – Now under the care of Aunt Josephine, Klaus, Sunny, and Violet meet a sailor named ‘Captain Sham’, who Violet recognizes immediately, he is Count Olaf in disguise. After an unfortunate accident, Captain Sham becomes their new guardian.
- The Miserable Mill – Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire are traveling to Paltryville to stay at the Lucky Smells Lumbermill. They quickly learn that they will have to work at the mill, but in exchange, their new guardian, Sir will try to keep Count Olaf away.
- The Austere Academy – Violet, Klaus, and Sunny enrolled in the Prufrock Preparatory School where Count Olaf is not supposed to find them. They accept hard living conditions in order to be safe.
- The Ersatz Elevator – The Baudelaire orphans arrive at their new home at 667 Dark Avenue where they meet Jerome Squalor, a good friend of their mother. Soon, Count Olaf finds a way to enter their lives again.
- The Vile Village – The children are going to live in the town of V.F.D., which is filled with crows. There, they met with the Council of Elders, who informs them that they will do all the chores for the entire village. Soon, they start to uncover the village’s secrets.
- The Hostile Hospital – After escaping the Village of Fowl Devotees, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire are trying to find help. They met the ‘Volunteers Fighting Diseases’, a group of enthusiasts that visit Heimlich Hospital to increase the morale of patients.
- The Carnivorous Carnival – Kidnaped by Count Olaf, The Baudelaire orphans arrive at Caligari Carnival. They discover that Olaf and his associates speak of seeking Madame Lulu for answers of the whereabouts of the Snicket files.
- The Slippery Slope – While Sunny Baudelaire is held captive by Count Olaf and his associates, Klaus and Violet escaped and are traveling up the mountain where they take shelter in a cave occupied by a troupe of Snow Scouts.
- The Grim Grotto – The Baudelaires stumble upon the submarine ‘Queequeg’ in which they are welcomed by Captain Widdershins and his stepdaughter Fiona. Soon, They discover that the crew of the Queequeg is searching for the mysterious sugar bowl.
- The Penultimate Peril – Violet, Klaus, and Sunny are now traveling with Kit Snicket, a pregnant V.F.D member, to Hotel Denouement, the last safe place for volunteers to gather. Waiting for the V.F.D’s gathering, they have to be disguised as concierges in order to observe the mysterious ‘J.S’.
- The End – The Baudelaires and Count Olaf are on a boat heading away from the Hotel Denouement. But after a storm, they found their way on an island where they are welcomed by a girl named Friday. Count Olaf disguises himself, but the islanders immediately see through his disguise and capture him.
If you like our article about reading A series of unfortunate events series in order, don’t forget to bookmark it!