Some jeans are just better than others…
What is the sisterhood of the traveling pants about ?
Bestselling young adult novel written by American novelist Ann Brashares, the sisterhood of the traveling pants is about four friends and one (traveling) pair of pants.
So, once there was a pair of pants. Just an ordinary pair of jeans. But these pants, the Traveling Pants, went on to do great things. This is the story of the four friends—Lena, Tibby, Bridget, and Carmen—who made it possible.
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants Books in Order :
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants – They were just a soft, ordinary pair of thrift-shop jeans until the four best friends took turns trying them on–four girls with very different sizes and builds. Yet the pants settle on each girl’s hips perfectly, making her look sexy and long-legged and feel confident as a teenager can feel. So they make a pact to share them equally, to mail them back and forth over the summer from wherever they are. Lena is going to Greece to be with her grandparents; Bridget is off to a soccer camp in Baja, California; Carmen plans to have her divorced father all to herself in South Carolina; and Tibby will be left at home to slave for minimum wage at Wallman’s.
- The Second Summer of the Sisterhood – The four best friends are beginning their 16th summer with new expectations for personal growth, romance, and deepening friendship, all enhanced by the magic of a shared pair of thrift-store jeans. Carmen and Lena both become entangled in emotional spats with their mothers, Tibby makes an edgy documentary film about her mother for a screenwriting course and Lena’s Greek boyfriend, Kostos, arrives suddenly.
- Girls in Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood – Four friends embark on their third summer of adventures, beginning with their high school graduation. Tibby ponders the change in her relationship with a male friend who now wants to date her. Lena’s plans to attend art school are disrupted when her conservative father discovers her sketching a nude male model during a summer class. Carmen takes a job looking after Lena’s cantankerous grandmother and decides to attend college locally when she discovers that her mother and new stepfather are expecting a baby. Bridget goes to summer camp and is surprised to learn that her ex-fling is also a counselor.
- Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood – The Traveling Pants are back for one last, glorious summer. Lena immerses herself in her painting and an intoxicating summer fling, fearing that the moment she forgets about Kostos will be the moment she sees him again. Carmen falls under the spell of a sophisticated college friend for whom a theatrical role means everything and the heritage of the Pants means nothing. Bridget joins a dig for an ancient city on the coast of Turkey and discovers that her archaeology professor is available in every way except one. Tibby leaves behind someone she loves, wrongly believing he will stay where she has left him.
- 3 Willows: The Sisterhood Grows – A new sisterhood begins, with occasional cameos from the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants gang. Ama, Jo, and Polly originally met in third grade. Now it’s the summer before high school, and they’re all dealing with disappointments and difficulties. Ama is horrified with her assignment to a summer wilderness camp instead of the academic program she was hoping for. Jo is dealing with her parents’ separation and the wildly attractive boy at work. And Polly is struggling to transform herself into a model through radical dieting and modeling camps.
- Sisterhood Everlasting – Ten years later, the story continues. On the cusp of turning thirty, Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget are now living separate lives, out on their own. Yet despite having jobs and men that they love, each knows that something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn’t take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can’t seem to shed her old restlessness. Then Tibby reaches out to bridge the distance, sending the others plane tickets for a reunion that they all breathlessly await and will change their lifes forever.
Thanks to my friend Carole for writing this guide.