There’s a new event in the Marvel Universe. Yeah, what’s new? The Secret Empire mega event just started last week and Marvel clearly did some spring cleaning for the occasion. I don’t know why, but they decided that the excellent Silk series had to stop. I’m sad about that. If you’re not, it’s maybe because you need to read it. So, here is a guide, but first…
Who is Silk?
Created by Dan Slott and Humberto Ramos, Silk real name is Cindy Moon. During a demonstration on the use of radioactive rays at a science exhibit that lead to Peter Parker getting bite by a spider and gaining his amazing powers, Cindy was also bitten. She was just another young student with powers, but when her abilities manifested, she was not able to control them and didn’t become a superhero.
Later, the enigmatic Ezekiel approaches Cindy’s family with a proposition. He was going to help her to control her abilities. After six years of training to use her powers, Cindy is locked up inside a facility by Ezekiel to protect her and the other ‘spiders’ from Morlun and his family called the Inheritors – more info about that in the Spider-verse crossover (reading guide to come one day).
How to read Silk?
There’s basically to entry points in my opinion. The first is to start with her first introduction in the Spider-man universe, then to go through the Spider-verse, and her own series. The second is to start with her solo series, which may not be a bad idea if you are really into getting to know Cindy quickly, because she’s just a secondary player what came before.
First steps in the Spider-Verse
- Amazing Spider-Man (v.3) #1–6 – Silk first appeared in the issue #1 (April 2014) as a faceless cameo and made her full debut in issue #4 (July 2014). Issues #1–6 were a story arc called ‘Lucky to be Alive’, taking place immediately after ‘Goblin Nation’, with issues #4 and #5 being a crossover with the Original Sin storyline.
- Spider-Verse – Silk played a part in the major Spider-Verse Event. It’s a pretty good storyline, I recommend it, but if you only want to read what’s important for Cindy, I’ll go like this:
Amazing Spider-Man (v.3) #7–10
Spider-Woman (Vol. 6) #1
Amazing Spider-Man (v.3) #11
Spider-Woman (Vol. 6) #2
Amazing Spider-Man (v.3) #12
Spider-Woman (Vol. 6) #3
Amazing Spider-Man (v.3) #13–14
Spider-Woman (Vol. 6) #4
Amazing Spider-Man (v.3) #15
The Solo Series
Like I said, it’s a pretty solid entry point. Cindy became a really good character in her own solo series. Before that, she was just a good idea, not really the great character she is now.
- Silk Vol. 0: The Life and Times of Cindy Moon – The First solo story arc for Cindy. This TPB collects issues 1–7 from volume 1. After that, the Marvel Universe rebooted again with the Secret Wars event, but Silk was not really affected by that, except for the 8-month time jump.
- The Amazing Spider-Man vol. 4 #1 – It’s optional, but this issue rebooted the Spider-Universe after Secret Wars and, at the end, there are a few pages with Silk. It’s kind of a prologue.
- Silk Vol. 1: Sinister – Two #1 in one year, Silk is badass like that. This second TPB collects issues 1–6 of the volume 2.
- Amazing Spider-Man & Silk: the Spider(Fly) Effect – It was a digital series taking place between issues 2 and 3 of Silk vol.2. It’s mostly optional, but if you are a completist.
- Spider-Women – This is a mini-crossover with Silk, Jessica Drew and Spider-Gwen. There Ara jumps between universes, an Evil Silk and more. This TPB collects Silk Vol. 2. #7–8, Spider-Gwen Vol. 2, #7–8, & Spider-Woman Vol. 6, #6–7
- Silk Vol. 2: The Negative, Issues 9–13
- The Clone Conspiracy – Before the end of her solo series, Silk was part of the spider-event The Clone Conspiracy, follow the guide here. You can skip this book for two reasons : 1/ you just want Silk’s story 2/ those Silk’s issues are also in the last TPBs with more stories.
- Silk Vol. 3: The Clone Conspiracy – Issues 14-19 – The Silk’s issues from the Clone Conspiray Event + the last two issues. The End… For now I hope. Maybe Silk will comeback in a few months, after the Secret Empire Event, maybe not. There’s no news about what’s next for Cindy as of now. I’ll update this guide if there’s something new.