Clive Cussler is one of those prolific author that doesn’t seem to stop publishing new work every year. Let’s talk about one of his series.
What are the Oregon Files books about?
Adventure series written by Clive Cussler, The Oregon Files is a spin-off of the Dirk Pitt Series. It focuses on Juan Cabrillo and his crew of mercenaries with a conscience.
More precisely, Cabrillo is the chairman of the Corporation, a special US Government-sponsored group that operates out of a ship called the Oregon. It is described as a marvel of scientific research equipped with state-of-the-art weaponry. But you never guessed it, because the ship is disguised as a heap of junk.
The Oregon Files Books In Order:
- Flood Tide – This first book is part of the Dirk Pitt Series. When NUMA agent Dirk Pitt rescues a beautiful undercover agent in a daring underwater operation at Orion Lake, just north of Seattle, he confronts a sinister network run by Qin Shang, a ruthless smuggler who sells Chinese immigrants into slavery. Shang’s campaign contributions have bought him a collection of powerful U.S. politicians, but Pitt is not a man to be subverted by politics.
- Golden Buddha – With the secret backing of the US government, Cabrillo sets out to put Tibet back in the hands of the Dalai Lama by striking a deal with the Russians and the Chinese. His main negotiating chip is knowledge of a golden Buddha containing records of vast oil reserves in the disputed land. But first, he’ll have to locate – and steal – the all-important artifact.
- Sacred Stone – Two embattled groups seek a 50,000-year-old meteorite first discovered and then hidden by Eric the Red and his Vikings. Known as the Sacred Stone, it has powerful radioative properties. And caught between the two militant factions is Juan Cabrillo and his crew, who must do whatever they can to stop the impending doom…
- Dark Watch – A consortium of Japanese shipping magnates whose fortunes are being threatened by brutal pirates trolling the waters of Southeast Asia ask for Cabrillo’s special brand of assistance. When Cabrillo confronts the enemy, he learns that the pirates’ predations hide a deadly international conspiracy-a scheme of death and slavery that Juan Cabrillo is going to blow out of the water.
- Skeleton Coast – Juan Cabrillo and the crew of the Oregon have barely escaped a mission when they intercept a mayday from a defenseless boat under fire off the African coast. Cabrillo takes action. He manages to save Sloane Macintyre who’s looking for a long-submerged ship that may hold a fortune in diamonds. But what surprises Cabrillo is her story about a crazy fisherman who claims to have been attacked on the open sea by giant metal snakes in the same area.
- Plague Ship – Cabrillo and the crew have just completed a top secret mission against Iran in the Persian Gulf when they come across a cruise ship adrift at sea. Hundreds of bodies litter its deck, and, as Cabrillo tries to determine what happened, explosions rack the length of the ship.
- Corsair – When the U.S. secretary of state’s plane crashes while bringing her to a summit meeting in Libya, the CIA, distrusting the Libyans, hire Juan Cabrillo to search for her, and their misgivings are well founded. The crew locates the plane, but the secretary of state has vanished. It turns out Libya’s new foreign minister has other plans for the conference, plans that Cabrillo cannot let happen.
- The Silent Sea – On December 7, 1941, five brothers exploring a shaft on a small island off the coast of Washington state make an exciting discovery, only to be interrupted by news of Pearl Harbor. In the present, Cabrillo, chasing the remnants of a crashed satellite in the Argentine jungle, makes a shocking discovery of his own. His search to untangle the mystery leads him first to that small island and its secret.
- The Jungle – Jungles come in many forms. There are the steamy rain forests of the Burmese highlands. There are the lies and betrayals of the world of covert operations. And there are the dark and twisted thoughts of a man bent on near-global domination. To pull off their latest mission, Cabrillo and his remarkable men and women must survive them all.
- Mirage – In October 1943, a U.S. destroyer sailed out of Philadelphia and supposedly vanished, the result of a Navy experiment with electromagnetic radiation. The story was considered a hoax–but now Juan Cabrillo and his Oregon colleagues aren’t so sure.
- Piranha – In 1902, the volcano Mt. Pelée erupts on the island of Martinique, wiping out an entire city of thirty thousand–and sinking a ship carrying a German scientist on the verge of an astonishing breakthrough. More than a century later, Juan Cabrillo will have to deal with that scientist’s legacy.
- The Emperor’s Revenge – When a bank heist during the Monaco Grand Prix decimates the Corporation’s “offshore” account, Juan Cabrillo and the crew of the Oregon find themselves unexpectedly vulnerable. Without his usual financial assets, Juan must trust a woman from his past, an old friend from his days with the CIA, to help him keep his team safe.
- Typhoon Fury – Hired to search for a collection of paintings worth half a billion dollars, Juan Cabrillo and the crew of the Oregon soon find themselves in much deeper waters. The vicious leader of a Filipino insurgency is not only using them to finance his attacks, he has stumbled upon one of the most lethal secrets of World War II: a Japanese-developed drug, designed, but never used, to turn soldiers into super-warriors.
- Shadow Tyrants – Nearly two thousand years ago, an Eastern emperor charged a small group with safeguarding secrets powerful enough to change the history of mankind. They went down in legend as the Nine Unknown Men–and now two rival factions of their descendants are fighting a mighty battle. Both sides think they are saving the world. Soon, Juan Cabrillo and his team of expert operatives aboard the Oregon find themselves trapped between two power-hungry adversaries.