If you want to read some legal thrillers written by a real lawyer, the Joe Dillard series is for you.
Who is Joe Dillard?
Written by an American author and ex-lawyer Scott Pratt, the Joe Dillard series is about a criminal defense lawyer from Tennessee who wants to make a change to his career.
When the series began, Joe Dillard he’s trying to balance his career against his conscience, and failed. So he wants to quit doing criminal defense, but he finally gets the opportunity to defend an innocent.
Joe Dillard Books in Order:
- An Innocent Client– Criminal defense lawyer Joe Dillard wants to quit doing criminal defense, but he can’t resist the chance to represent someone who might actually be innocent. His drug-addicted sister has just been released from prison and his mother is succumbing to Alzheimer’s, but Dillard’s commitment to the case never wavers.
- In Good Faith – A former defense attorney who spent way too much time defending people he knew were guilty, Joe Dillard is determined to win this case as a prosecutor to atone for his past. But an evil young woman named Natasha is responsible for the slayings and Joe knows it. Natasha is walking around free because the two boys who have been arrested are too terrified to implicate her.
- Injustice For All – Joe Dillard finds himself in the middle of two volatile mysteries. The primary suspect in the judge’s murder is Dillard’s son’s best friend, and Dillard’s wife may have destoyed evidence. Meanwhile, the missing girl turns out to be a mystery far deeper than anyone imagined…
- Reasonable Fear – Joe Dillard becomes heavily involved in an investigation with Sheriff Leon Bates and soon realizes that he is up against an enemy that he has never before encountered. But when bodies start showing up in his driveway and his family is threatened with termination, Dillard must ask himself a previously unthinkable question. His life, and the lives of his family, depend on the answer.
- Conflict of Interest – Joe Dillard is hired to represent the parents of a child who has gone missing. As the clock ticks, Dillard desperately tries to find the little girl, but the return of his wife’s dreaded disease and the stunning appearance of his father combine to push Dillard to his emotional limit.
- Blood Money – Joe Dillard does something he has never done before — he hires a young associate. Her name is Charleston Story, and in her very first case, she winds up inheriting an item so valuable that it threatens to destroy her and everything she cares about. As Dillard tries to help his young protege, he finds himself dragged into a web of danger and intrigue.
- A Crime of Passion – Joe Dillard is hired to travel to Nashville to defend Paul Milius, a record company baron accused of strangling Kasey Cartwright, his label’s young star. Dillard navigates Nashville’s unfamiliar legal system and the world of country music in search of the truth, but he soon finds himself confronted with a web of lies so masterfully woven that he fears he may never find any answers.
- Judgment Cometh: And That Right Soon – A Supreme Court Justice is found cut into pieces in the back of a pick-up truck. Three other judges have already gone missing. Joe Dillard is hired to represent the man driving the pick-up. As Dillard delves into the case, he comes to believe his client is not guilty. But who is?
- Due Process – A young exotic dancer claims she was sexually assaulted at a party thrown by a university football team. Three players stand accused. Joe Dillard finds himself defending one of the players accused of assaulting the young woman. The case receives national attention, quickly escalating into a platform for deep-seeded division and hatred.