If you want some noir mysteries in your fantasy series.
Who is Garrett P.I.?
Written by American writer Glen Cook (also author of The Black Company series), the Garrett P.I. series is of a contemporary fantasy series about a private investigator in a Fantasy land.
More precisely, Garrett is an ex-marine who came back to his home in the city of TunFaire where he lives among gnomes, dark elves, centaurs, trolls, wizards, vampires, witches or even gods. Once there, he became a freelance private investigator. He doesn’t work more than needed, but he’s always ready to go when a beautiful woman needs help, even if his life always ended up at risk.
Garrett P.I. Books in Order:
- Sweet Silver Blues – It should have been a simple job. But for Garrett, a human detective in a world of gnomes, tracking down the woman to whom his dead pal Danny left a fortune in silver is no slight task. Even with the aid of Morley, the toughest half-elf around, Garrett isn’t sure he’ll make it out alive from a land where magic can be murder, the dead still talk, and vampires are always hungry for human blood.
- Bitter Gold Hearts – The Stormwarden’s children have been kidnapped and Garrett, P.I. is on the case. But caught between the bewitching beauty of a half-elf and the fearsome power of a horde of ogres, Garrett has to think twice before sacrificing all for a fortune in gold-after all, even in this enchanted land, he’s only human.
- Cold Copper Tears – She was tall, blonde, and offering Garrett an irresistible fee to take a case that seemed open and shut. But in a town of elves and humans, thugs and swindlers, Garrett had learned to take a long, hard look before saying yes. Garrett’s doubts are confirmed when the Grand Inquisitor comes looking for his help in the lovely lady’s wake.
- Old Tin Sorrows – When his old friend Blake Peters calls in some overdue favors. Garrett feels like he’s committed himself to a corps of corpses. Someone is trying to kill Blake’s wealthy, retired General Stantnor, in a most lingering, painful, and maybe poisonous way. Can Garrett keep the general above ground?
- Dread Brass Shadows – Everyone wants to find ita treasure so rich it makes even a hard-boiled detective like Garrett nervous. Its the legendary Book of Shadows, made of brass and holding secrets no mortal was ever meant to masterand Garrett must make sure no one ever has the chance to work its spells on an unsuspecting and unprotected world.
- Red Iron Nights – Blood-soaked blades have been taking their toll among the luscious lovelies in Garrett’s home city of TunFaire. And though Garrett can be as civic-minded as the next guy—unless the next guy is Captain Block of the Watch—the private eye isn’t sure he really wants to take on a serial killer psycho who does too good a carving job and never leaves any of the blood behind.
- Deadly Quicksilver Lies – A damsel in a dress was Garrett’s weakness, especially when she had equipment in all the right places. Still, Garrett wasn’t sure it was worth his life to take on Maggie Jenn, the ex-king’s ex-mistress, as his client. Not in a kingdom where the biggest con artists weren’t human, magic could beat any weapon, and the local killers were built like tanks.
- Petty Pewter Gods – There are some new gods in the town of TunFaire, but temple real estate on the Street of Dreams is at a premium. So the big gods on the block issued a challenge-find the “key” to the one temple still available. When two rival pantheons try to hire Garrett, he knows he is in for it…
- Faded Steel Heat – Riots between humans and trolls, elves, and other non-humans have plunged Tunfaire into near chaos. Garrett finds himself pulled into the game when a powerful gang of human rightists tries to shake down his employer?and ends up caught in a conspiracy of hate that pits man against? everybody!
- Angry Lead Skies – Garrett lets himself get roped into being a bodyguard for Kip Prose, an obnoxious kid being threatened by creatures that can’t quite be described. But before Kip Prose has a chance to explain what he’s done to get on the hit list of some nameless nasties, the precocious Prose is abducted, and the chase begins…
- Whispering Nickel Idols – Garrett’s having a pretty good morning until, five minutes in, he finds a strange child named Penny Dreadful poking around his apartment. Before he can figure out who the mysterious urchin really is, he’s hired to investigate how an old crime boss ended up in a coma—leaving his beautiful, criminally insane daughter to run the family business.
- Cruel Zinc Melodies – When a pack of gorgeous women knock on his door, Garrett knows it’s too good to be true. The leader of the group is Alyx Weider, the daughter of the largest brewer in town. Her father and friends are opening a new theater in TunFaire and the lovely ladies are there to persuade Garrett to help get rid of the paranormal parasites living in the new construction.
- Gilded Latten Bones – Garrett’s attempt at domestic bliss with the fiery Tinnie Tate is sidetracked when he waylays a pair of home intruders and learns they’ve been paid by an unknown source to kidnap Tinnie. But as Garrett rushes to find out who is trying to push his buttons, his best friend is attacked. Now, Garrett has to track down both malefactors. Unless they’re really one and the same-in which case Garrett might be next…
- Wicked Bronze Ambition – Garrett is set to stow his wandering heart with his fiancée, Strafa Algarda. Strafa’s family needs Garrett’s unique skills in the worst way. Rumors are spreading that someone is organizing a Tournament of Swords They’ve asked Garrett to find out who is organizing the tournament and nip it in the bud. The only problem is that finding the culprit is most likely impossible. But the Algardas are used to getting what they want….