If you like the Old man’s war series, maybe try The Expeditionary Force.
What the Expeditionary Force series is about?
Written by self-published author Craig Alanson, the Expeditionary Force is a military science-fiction series that will be composed of 14 novels.
Humanity realizes suddenly that space is full of more advances species when the conflict between the Ruhar and the Kristang affects Earth. The humans are recruited in an intergalactic war. That’s how Army Specialist Joe Bishop got shipped to another solar system for training before realizing that, maybe, he was fighting on the wrong side…
Expeditionary Force Books in Order:
- Columbus Day – An alien civilization named the Ruhar attacked Earth on Columbus Day. When the morning sky twinkled again, another alien species, The Kristang, arrived to fight off the Ruhar, then enlisted the humans in an on-going intergalactic war against the Ruhar and other species. And it was just the beginning….
- SpecOps – Colonel Joe Bishop made a promise and he’s going to keep it; taking the captured alien starship Flying Dutchman back out. He doesn’t agree when the UN decides to send almost 70 elite Special Operations troops, hotshot pilots and scientists with him; the mission is a fool’s errand he doesn’t expect to ever return. At least, this time, the Earth is safe, right? Not so much.
- Paradise – While the crew of the starship Flying Dutchman have been trying to assure that hostile aliens do not have access to Earth, the UN Expeditionary Force has been stranded on the planet they nicknamed ‘Paradise’. The Flying Dutchman is headed back out on another mission, and the UN wants the ship to find out the status of the humans on Paradise. But Colonel Joe Bishop warns that they might not like what they find, and they can’t do anything about it without endangering Earth.
- Trouble on Paradise (novella) – While the crew of the UN Expeditionary Force’s pirate starship Flying Dutchman are enjoying a luxury vacation cruise (not!), UNEF troops are still stranded on an alien-controlled planet. Major Emily Perkins and her team are busy picking up the pieces, and it’s not easy, because there is trouble on Paradise…
- Black Ops – The elite crew of the pirate ship UNS Flying Dutchman had a simple mission: determining whether the Thuranin are sending another starship to Earth. Along the way, they became sidetracked by securing a future for the UNEF troops on the planet Paradise. When asked whether Earth was now safe, their ancient alien AI responded ‘Not so much’… now they have to deal with the consequences.
- Zero Hour – United Nations Special Operations Command sent an elite Expeditionary Force of soldiers and pilots out on a simple recon mission, and somehow along the way they sparked an alien civil war. Now the not-at-all-Merry Band of Pirates is in desperate trouble, again. Their stolen alien starship is falling apart, thousands of lightyears from home. The ancient alien AI they nicknamed ‘Skippy’ is apparently dead, and even if they can by some miracle revive him, he might never be the same.
- Mavericks – The remnants of the Expeditionary Force stranded on the alien-controlled planet ‘Paradise’ get a chance to prove themselves, in a simple off-world training mission with a ship full of teenage alien cadets. When the mission goes horribly wrong and the survival of everyone on Paradise is at risk, the Merry Band of Pirates may have to come to the rescue. Unless they get killed first…
- Renegades – The battle-scarred star carrier Flying Dutchman is finally on her way back to Earth, after an exceptionally successful series of missions that have once again Saved The World. The ship needs a serious refit, and her exhausted crew just wants a break from constant clandestine warfare against a vicious and superior enemy. Wishes come true, right? Not for the Merry Band of Pirates.