Blind lawyer by day, vigilante by night.
Who is Daredevil, the Man Without Fear ?
Matt Murdock was blinded by a radioactive substance that falled from an out-of-control truck after he pushed a man out of the path of the oncoming vehicle. While he no longer could see, his exposure to the radioactive material heightened his remaining senses beyond normal human ability, and gave him a “radar sense.”
A lawyer by day, Matt took up to a dual life of fighting against the criminal underworld in New York City, as the masked vigilante Daredevil – also known as The Man Without Fear and The Devil of Hell’s Kitchen. Matt uses his physical abilities and superhuman senses to help people and protect his communities against vilains like the Kingpin or Bullseye.
Where to start with Daredevil aka Matt Murdock ? The Recommended Reading List
Daredevil makes his first appearence in April 1964. There is more than 50 years of history to discover. For newcomers, here is an essential reading for Daredevil :
- Daredevil: The Man Without Fear – the famous retelling of Daredevil’s origin story by Frank Miller and illustrated by John Romita Jr.
- Daredevil by Frank Miller & Klaus Janson – The most iconic run on Daredevil, who redefines The Man Without Fear.
- Guardian Devil by Kevin Smith & Joe Quesada – After some difficult years, Daredevil was rebooted under the Marvel Knight imprint with an eight-issue story arc written by filmmaker Kevin Smith and illustrated by Joe Quesada.
- Yellow by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale – A re-telling of Daredevil’s origin story and early career as well as his budding relationship with Karen Page.
- Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev – A character-defining run with still a dark and gritty tone for the devil of Hell’s Kitchen.
- Daredevil by Mark Waid & Chris Samnee – For a run with a tone drastically different than other Daredevil stories, this is what you must read.
Daredevil Reading Order :
Daredevil Origin Stories
Wants to know the basics for Daredevil ? You can read those origin stories :
- Daredevil: The Man Without Fear – by Frank Miller and John Romita Jr. Matt Murdock’s life is changed dramatically after he is blinded by radioactive material while saving the life of an old man and develops super-senses.
- Yellow – by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale. Prizefighter Battlin’ Jack Murdock’s murder set in motion a chain of events that exploded with a new super hero swinging out of New York City’s Hell’s Kitchen: the blind acrobat Daredevil!
- Daredevil: Season One – by Antony Johnston and Wellington Alves. Meet Matt Murdock, one of New York’s finest attorneys by day and swashbuckling crime-fighter Daredevil by night! He faces off against the Owl, Purple Man and Mr. Fear for the first time…but it’s not what you remember!
Silver Age Daredevil (1964 – 1979)
- Daredevil Epic Collection Vol. 1: The Man Without Fear – When a daring act to save a man’s life blinds young Murdock, he finds that the same accident has enhanced his remaining senses to superhuman levels! He becomes Daredevil, a gritty hero born from murder but tempered with the desire to protect the downtrodden. Collects Daredevil Vol. 1 #1-21.
- Daredevil Epic Collection Vol. 2: Mike Murdock must Die – Matt Murdock juggles his triple identity as Daredevil and his own “twin brother” Mike Murdock. And as if that weren’t complex enough, Daredevil experiences a body swap with Doctor Doom in one of comics’ first crossovers ! Collects Daredevil Vol. 1 #22-41, Annual (1967) #1; material from Not Brand Echh #4
This omnibus collects the first stories with Daredevil by writer Stan Lee and artists Bill Everett, Joe Orlando, Wallace Wood, John Romita and Gene Colan . Collects Daredevil vol. 1, #1-41, Annual #1 (1967); Fantastic Four vol. 1, #73; Not Brand Echh #4.
- Daredevil Epic Collection Vol. 3: Brother, Take My Hand – The Jester frames Daredevil for murder and sets all of New York against the Man Without Fear. Daredevil also faces off against two of Marvel’s greatest heroes, Captain America and the Black Panther -all the while struggling to rebuild his relationship with the lovely Karen Page. Collects Daredevil Vol. 1 #42-63
Daredevil #64-157 are not yet collected in the Epic Collection. You can find some of those issues in the Essential Daredevil or Masterworks Collection, where most of Silver Age Daredevil issues are collected :
- Essential Daredevil Volume 1 – Collects Daredevil #1–25
- Essential Daredevil Volume 2 – Collects Daredevil #26–48; Daredevil Special #1; Fantastic Four #73
- Essential Daredevil Volume 3 – Collects Daredevil #49–74; Iron Man #35–36
- Essential Daredevil Volume 4 – Collects Daredevil #75–101; Avengers #111
- Essential Daredevil Volume 5 – Collects Daredevil #102–125; Marvel Two-in-One #3
- Essential Daredevil Volume 6 – Collects Daredevil #126-146, Annual #4; Iron Man #88-89; Ghost Rider Vol. 2 #20
- Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil Volume 1 – Collects Daredevil #1–11
- Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil Volume 2 – Collects Daredevil #12–21
- Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil Volume 3 – Collects Daredevil #22–32, Annual #1
- Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil Volume 4 – Collects Daredevil #33–41; Fantastic Four #73
- Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil Volume 5 – Collects Daredevil #42–53; Not Brand Ecch #4
- Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil Volume 6 – Collects Daredevil #54-63
- Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil Volume 7 – Collects Daredevil #64–74; The Invincible Iron Man #35-36
- Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil Volume 8 – Collects Daredevil #75–84; Amazing Adventures #1-8
- Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil Volume 9 – Collects Daredevil #85–96
- Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil Volume 10 – Collects Daredevil #97–107; Avengers #111
- Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil Volume 11 – Collects Daredevil #108-119; Marvel Two-In-One #3
- Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil Volume 12 – Collects Daredevil #120-132; material from FOOM #13
- Marvel Masterworks: Daredevil Volume 13 – Collects Daredevil #133-143; Annual #4; Ghost Rider #20; Marvel Premiere #39-40; material from Ghost Rider #19
- Where are Daredevil #145-157 ? Not Collected at all.
Daredevil by Frank Miller and Denny O’Neil (1979-1986)
Frank Miller redefined The Man Without Fear in the most important run on Daredevil history (from issue #158 to issue #235), introducting Elektra and putting Kingpin as the greatest DD’s villain.
- Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Vol. 1 – Featuring the first appearances by Elektra, Stick and The Hand, this collection heralds one of Daredevil’s greatest eras as Kingpin and Bullseye try to rob the Man Without Fear of everything he holds dear! Collects Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #27-28, and Daredevil #158-161 and #163-172.
- Where is Daredevil #162 ? You can find this issue in Marvel Visionaries: Steve Ditko.
- Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Vol. 2 – Mixing traditional super-heroics with mysterious martial aristry, doomed romance, and dark personal drama, Miller’s character-defining Daredevil run continues in this volume. Collects Daredevil #173-184.
- Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Vol. 3 – The Hand and the Chaste are in a race for Elektra, body and soul, and Natasha Romanova, the Black Widow, almost follows her rival into the grave while Daredevil’s trapped in a coffin of his own design! Collects Daredevil #185-191, #219, Love and War, and a What If story.
- Where are Daredevil #192-218 and #220-225 ? Some (but not all) issues have been collected in Daredevil: Love’s Labors Lost.
- Daredevil: Born Again – Matt Murdock’s personal life and career spiral out of control after the Kingpin learns his secret identity as Daredevil from a drug-addicted ex-lover and uses the information to destroy him. Collects Daredevil #226-233.
- Where are Daredevil #234-235 ? Not collected.
- Daredevil by Frank Miller & Klaus Janson Omnibus – Featuring the first appearances of Elektra, Stick and the Hand! The daring discovery that drew Ben Urich into Daredevil’s domain of darkness! And such forgotten-yet-formidable foes as Death-Stalker and the Gladiator! Frank Miller’s classic run on Omnibus form ! Collects Daredevil #158-161 & 163-191: What If? #28.
- Daredevil Companion Omnibus by Frank Miller – The Man Without Fear is born and reborn in this second collection of Frank Miller’s run! When the drug-addled Karen Page trades away DD’s secret identity for a fix, Matt must find the strength to survive as the vengeful Kingpin takes him down as low a human can get! Collects Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #27-28; Daredevil vol. 1 #219, 226-233; Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #1-5; Daredevil: Love and War.
Daredevil by Ann Nocenti (1986-1991)
Following Miller’s run, Ann Nocenti became the series’s longest-running regular writer, with a with a four-and-a-quarter-year run from #238–291. For the moment, the beginning – and end – of her run is not collected on a Daredevil collection.
- Daredevil Epic Collection Vol. 13 : A Touch of Typhoid –Typhoid Mary is the lethally seductive assassin unleashed by the Kingpin in his campaign to break Matt Murdock. Under attack from both sides, the champion of Hell’s Kitchen may be powerless to resist. Collects Daredevil #253-270, Punisher #10.
- Daredevil Epic Collection Vol. 14 : Heart of Darkness – Things really get heated as Daredevil is caught between the diabolical Mephisto and his monstrous son Blackheart! The Man Without Fear and his friends will be forced to face their demons like never before! Collects Daredevil Vol. 1 #271-282, Annual #5-6, material from Punisher Annual #3, Incredible Hulk Annual #16, Silver Surfer Annual #3.
Daredevil in the 90s (1991-1998)
Certainly not a period that make people talk, with a number of writers taking a stab at Daredevil : D. G. Chichester, Gregory Wright, Alan Smithee, J.M. DeMatteis, Karl Kesel, Scott Lobdell and Joe Kelly.
Like Nocenti, the first part of Chichester’s run is not yet collected on a Daredevil collection.
- Daredevil: The Fall of the Kingpin – A 1993 graphic novel and the sequel to Frank Miller and David Mazzuchelli’s critically and fan acclaimed “Born Again!” Collects Daredevil #297-300.
- Daredevil/Black Widow: Abattoir – Another 1993 graphic novel by Jim Starlin, where DD and Black Widow team-up to to find out who’s killing SHIELD’s telepaths.
- Daredevil Epic Collection Vol. 18: Fall From Grace – A super-virus is unleashed on New York by the Hand ninja clan, and only Daredevil can stop them – but not without some unexpected help from a long-lost love and a new, armored costume! Collects Daredevil Vol. 1 #319-332, Annual #10; additional pages from original Fall From Grace trade paperback.
- Daredevil Epic Collection Vol. 19: Root of Evil – When Daredevil heads underground, he gets drawn into an ordeal involving Bushwacker, the Devourer and…Deathlok? But as things get explosive, is the biggest menace the underground King – or the rising Kingpin? Collects Daredevil Vol. 1 #333-344; Elektra: Root of Evil #1-4.
- Daredevil Epic Collection Vol. 20: Purgatory & Paradise – The black costume is no more – but who is that running around in the original yellow suit? And the classic red? Is it Matt Murdock? Jack Batlin? Or…someone else?! The Man Without Fear faces an identity crisis – and it won’t be easy to put his broken life back together. Collects Daredevil Vol. 1 #345-364.
- Daredevil Epic Collection Vol. 21: Widow’s Kiss – Mr. Fear launches his latest campaign of terror! But when Matt comes between his angry ex-love Black Widow and evil mutant Omega Red, he will feel more than the Widow’s bite – what deadly game is the Avenger playing? Collects Daredevil Vol. 1 #365-380, -1; Daredevil/Deadpool Annual ’97.
- For the lover of Daredevil/Spidey friendship, you can read Greatest Spider-Man and Daredevil Team-Ups, who covers team-up from 1964 to 1994.
Daredevil Rebooted (1998-2001)
In 1998, Marvel decided to reboot Daredevil, under the Marvel Knights imprint, with a first story arc written by filmmaker Kevin Smith and pencilled by Joe Quesada. The rest is history.
- Daredevil Vol.1: Guardian Devil – Matt Murdock must suddenly care for an infant that may be either the Messiah or the Antichrist. Collects Daredevil vol. 2, #1–8.
- Daredevil Vol.2: Parts of a Hole – Maya, also known as Echo, seeks out her father’s killer, a man that Kingpin fingers as Daredevil. Can Matt Murdock clear his name before his new love becomes his executioner? CollectsDaredevil vol. 2, #9–15.
Marvel Knights by Joe Quesada Omnibus – Joe Quesada helped create the critically acclaimed Marvel Knights imprint – and these are the stories that defi ned it! Teaming with Hollywood legend Kevin Smith, Quesada breathed new life into Daredevil – and with the moody and atmospheric David Mack, he introduced the enigmatic Echo to the world of the Man Without Fear! Collects Daredevil (1998) 1-15, 1/2; Daredevil: Father 1-6; Marvel Authentix: Daredevil 1; Material From Marvel Knights Double-Shot 1
Before a new run, Daredevil makes multiples appareances :
- Marvel Knights Daredevil: Unusual Suspects – Collects: Daredevil: Ninja 1-3; Daredevil/Spider-Man 1-4; Daredevil (1998) 20-25, 51-55; Spider-Man/Daredevil 1.
- Black Widow: The Itsy-Bitsy Spider – Collects Black Widow, Vol. 1 #1-3 and Black Widow, Vol. 2 #1-3
- Marvel Knights by Dixon & Barreto: Defenders of the Streets – Collects Marvel Knights (2000) 1-15
Daredevil By Michael Brian Bendis (2001-2006)
Now a big name in the industry, Bendis got his big break on Daredevil, where he created a character-defining run for The Man without Fear, with David Mack and Alex Maleev’s help.
- Daredevil Vol.3: Wake Up – While on assignment to cover the murder trial of Wilson Fisk, the Kingpin of Crime, reporter Ben Urich finds himself spending more time with the catatonic son of Leap Frog, who is somehow connected to Daredevil. Collects Daredevil vol. 2 #16–19.
- Where are Daredevil #20-25 ? Those issues were written by Bob Gale and are collected in Marvel Knights Daredevil: Unusual Suspects.
- Daredevil Vol.4: Underboss – The mystery man named Mr. Silke has inspired Wilson Fisks lieutenants to rise up and take down the Kingpin of Crime! But what is the connection between Silke’s coup and the contract on attorney Matt Murdock’s life? Collects Daredevil vol. 2 #26–31.
- Daredevil Vol.5: Out – When Matt Murdock’s most guarded secret is sold to a tabloid newspaper, Daredevil’s secret identity is exposed to the world! How far will the Man Without Fear go to reclaim his life? Collects Daredevil vol. 2 #32–40.
- Daredevil Vol.6: Lowlife – With the media hounding him after he is outed as Daredevil by a tabloid, Matt Murdoch attempts to cope with his unwanted notoriety as well as his lawsuit against the tabloid, the villainous Owl, and a lovely blind woman named Milla. Collects Daredevil vol. 2 #41–45.
- Daredevil Vol.7: Hardcore – Daredevil is simultaneously faced with murder charges, a new girlfriend, being outted by the tabloids, the return of one of his deadliest foes, Typhoid Mary, and the Kingpin’s attempt to restore his fallen empire. Daredevil vol. 2 #46–50.
- Daredevil Vol.8: Echo – Vision Quest – Maya Lopez, dubbed Echo by the press, is a young deaf woman capable of replicating any action she sees–including an individual’s fighting style. Now, with her perceptions completely altered, can she make sense of the world? Echo embarks on a Native American vision quest to pick up the pieces of her shattered life. Collects Daredevil vol. 2 #51–55.
- Daredevil Vol.9: King of Hell’s Kitchen – After years of conflict, Daredevil has finally vanquished the Kingpin. Daredevil names a brand-new Kingpin: himself What does DD have in store for his old neighborhood…and for anyone foolish enough to challenge his rule? Collects Daredevil vol. 2, #56–60
Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev Omnibus, Vol. 1 – First part of Bendis and Maleev’s run collected in Omnibus form. When Daredevil’s secret identity is revealed to the world, Matt Murdock is assailed as both civilian and super hero by a wave of his worst enemies – including the Owl, Mister Hyde, Bullseye, Typhoid and the Kingpin of Crime! Collects Daredevil (1998) #16-19, 26-50, & 56-60.
- Daredevil Vol.10: The Widow – Daredevil’s fiery, redheaded ex-partner returns to Hell’s Kitchen to help the new Kingpin keep the streets clean. But why is she really back? Collects Daredevil vol. 2, #61–65.
- Daredevil Vol.11: Golden Age – Who was the Kingpin before the Kingpin, and what was his relationship to Matt? Collects Daredevil vol. 2 #66–70.
- Daredevil Vol.12: Decalogue – Exactly what happened during Daredevil’s year-long reign as the new Kingpin? His historic cleaning of Hell’s Kitchen will finally be revealed in bloody detail. Collects Daredevil vol. 2 #71–75.
- Daredevil: The Murdock Papers – He’s been outed in the press; he’s married and been the Kingpin of Hell’s Kitchen. What could possibly happen now ? Wilson Fisk is Back ! Collects Daredevil vol. 2 #76–81.
Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev Omnibus, Vol. 2 – In this second and final volume, Bendis and Maleev’s run comes to a blistering conclusion with a Daredevil/Black Widow team-up that takes an unforeseen turn; untold tales of Hell’s Kitchen past and present -and the inevitable return of Wilson Fisk, the Kingpin of Crime! Collects Daredevil (1998) #61-81. Also collects Ultimate Marvel Team-Up (2001) #6-8 and What If Karen Page Had Lived? (2005) #1.
Bendis’run is also collected in the Ultimate Collection :
- Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev Ultimate Collection Book 1 – Collects Daredevil Vol. 2 #16-19, 26-40.
- Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev Ultimate Collection Book 2 – Collects Daredevil Vol. 2 #41-50, 56-65.
- Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev Ultimate Collection Book 3 – Collects Daredevil Vol. 2 #66-81, What If Karen Page Had Lived?, Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #6-8.
Daredevil By Ed Brubaker (2006-2009)
In late 2004 Brubaker, no longer exclusive to DC, began to work for their main competitor Marvel Comics. It gave us his famous run on Captain America, but also his take on Daredevil, exploring the ramifications of events closing Bendis’ run.
- Daredevil: The Devil Inside and Out, Vol. 1 – Pushed beyond the limit, Matt finds himself behind the eight ball with no clear way out, the people he calls friends slowly deserting him, and Hell’s Kitchen gradually slipping out of control. The question is, when his back is against the wall, just how far will Daredevil go to get back what is his? Collects Daredevil vol. 2, #82–87.
- Daredevil: The Devil Inside and Out, Vol. 2 – Daredevil’s search for the truth leads him out of the country, on a swashbuckling noir adventure that hasn’t been seen in the pages of DD for years! But is this the other DD, or the original? Collects Daredevil vol. 2, #88–93.
- The event Civil War takes more or less place simultaneously/after “The Devil Takes A Ride” arc (DD #89-93). It helps understand why there is two Daredevils.
- Daredevil: Hell to Pay, Vol. 1 – Matt tries to move forward post-Civil War, but a threat from his past may be coming after him. Collects Daredevil vol. 2, #94–99.
- Daredevil: Hell to Pay, Vol. 2 – Everything Matt thought he got back he is on the edge of losing and now he has to fight for his life in the courtroom and on the rooftops of Hell’s Kitchen. Collects Daredevil vol. 2, #100–105.
This omnibus collects the first part of Ed Brubaker run on Daredevil. It collects three volumes of Daredevil (1998), issues #82-105.
- Daredevil: Cruel and Unusual – An old friend brings Matt Murdock the case of a villain on death row for murders he may not have committed. Collects Daredevil vol. 2, #106–110.
- Daredevil: Lady Bullseye – Matt Murdock encounters a shocking new face Lady Bullseye! Who is she? Where did she come from? What does she want? And will she be a foe to Daredevil…or a friend? Collects Daredevil vol. 2, #111–115.
- Daredevil: Return of the King – After his family is murdered by the Hand, a ninja secret society now led by Lady Bullseye, Wilson Fisk, a.k.a. the Kingpin, teams up with Daredevil to take down the group. Collects Daredevil vol. 2, #116–119; Daredevil #500.
This is the second omnibus collecting the last three volumes of Brubaker’s run on Daredevil. Collects Daredevil (1998) #106-119 & 500. Also collects Annual 1 and Daredevil: Blood of the Tarantula.
Brubaker’s run is also collected in the Ultimate Collection :
- Daredevil By Ed Brubaker & Michael Lark Ultimate Collection Book 1 – Collects Daredevil Vol. 2 #82-93.
- Daredevil By Ed Brubaker & Michael Lark Ultimate Collection Book 2 – Collects Daredevil Vol. 2 #94-105.
- Daredevil By Ed Brubaker & Michael Lark Ultimate Collection Book 3 – Collects Daredevil Vol. 2 #106-119, 500
▪ You can check Daredevil : Noir, a story which take place on the Noir Universe, an alternate reality where the superheroes debuted in the 1920s or 1930s.
The Infamous Shadowland by Andy Diggle (2009-2011)
The less is said about Shadowland, the better. This storyline centers on Daredevil and others street-level superheors, with The Man Without Fear making his return to Hell’s Kitchen after becoming the leader of the Hand.
- Daredevil: The Devil’s Hand – Now’s the start of a radically different chapter in Daredevil’s adventures with the new creative team of Andy Diggle (Thunderbolts) and Roberto De La Torre (Iron Man). Collects Daredevil #501–507; Daredevil: Dark Reign – The List.
- Daredevil: Shadowland – Daredevil locked down Hell’s Kitchen – placing it under martial law and his friends have no choice but to confront him. Foggy Nelson, Dakota North, Power Man and Iron Fist brave the dangers of Shadowland to save Matt Murdock. Collects Daredevil #508-512; Shadowland: After the Fall.
Daredevil: Shadowland Omnibus – The Man Without Fear casts his shadow over the Marvel Universe in Shadowland. The storyline is collected in this omnibus where is reunited all the titles of the event. Collects Dark Reign: The List – Daredevil #1; Daredevil (1998) #501-512; Shadowland #1-5; Shadowland: Elektra, Bullseye, Ghost Rider, Spider-Man, After The Fall; Shadowland: Moon Knight #1-3; Shadowland: Blood On The Streets# 1-4; Shadowland: Daughters Of The Shadow #1-3; Shadowland: Power Man #1-4; Thunderbolts (1997) #148-149; Daredevil: Reborn #1-4.
The Lighter Year : Mark Waid Era (2011-2015)
After years of dark and sometimes depressive stories for Matt Murdock, Mark Waid’s take on the character gives us lighter stories, making Daredevil a less-burden superhero for a while, but still one worth-reading.
- Daredevil by Mark Waid Vol. 1 – Matt Murdock is back in New York and hoping to resuscitate his law practice, but not everyone is happy to see him. And Daredevil hits the streets as Klaw, master of sound, makes his deadly return! Collects Daredevil vol. 3, #1-6.
- Daredevil by Mark Waid Vol. 2 – Daredevil and Spider-Man form a shaky alliance with not one, but two Punishers to obtain the invaluable Omega Drive – which contains the power to dismantle an internati onal criminal network. Collects Daredevil vol. 3, #7-10, 10. 1, Amazing Spider-Man #677.
- Daredevil by Mark Waid Vol. 3 – As a life-or-death drama plays out in Matt Murdock’s personal life, he faces the hidden foe behind his recent troubles: an unstoppable enemy with a connection to Daredevil’s origin! Collects Daredevil vol. 3, #11-15, Avenging Spider-Man #6, Punisher #10.
- Daredevil by Mark Waid Vol. 4 – Daredevil undergoes urgent brain surgery when fellow Avenger Ant-Man enters his head to destroy sensory-deprivation robots implanted by Dr. Doom. The two men gain a new understanding of each other’s struggles when the bots battle back, forcing Ant-Man to fight blind! Collects Daredevil vol. 3 #16-21.
- Daredevil by Mark Waid Vol. 5 – When Matt Murdock receives fateful news about someone close to him, will he be forced to abandon his super-hero identity to save one of his dearest friends? Collects Daredevil Vol. 3 #22-27.
The devil is reborn under Mark Waid supervision ! This omnibus collects Waid and Samnee run on The Man Without Fear. Collects Daredevil vol. 3 #1-27, 10.1; Amazing Spider-Man #677; Avenging Spider-Man #6; The Punisher (2011) #10.
- Daredevil by Mark Waid Vol. 6 – As Matt struggles to keep his law firm afloat while his best friend and partner Foggy Nelson undergoes cancer treatment, a new case reopens a chapter from Matt’s past – and pits Daredevil against a conspiracy that grips the highest levels of law and order in New York City. Collects Daredevil Vol. 3 #28-30, Indestructible Hulk #9-10.
- Daredevil by Mark Waid Vol. 7 – The Man Without Fear has his reputation put to the test when he comes face-to-face with the terrifying Legion of Monsters. But werewolves, zombies and Frankenstein’s creation are not the true horrors in Daredevil’s world. Not when cancer can strike his best friend, and none of his powerful and miraculous fellow heroes can do a thing about it. Collects Daredevil Vol. 3 #31-36.
- Daredevil Vol. 1: Devil at Bay – Marvel’s fearless hero begins his most awe-inspiring adventure yet in sunny San Francisco! Daredevil has headed west, and now protects the Golden City’s streets from evil – both as a costumed hero and as blind lawyer Matt Murdock! Collects Daredevil Vol. 4 #1-5, 0.5.
- Daredevil Vol. 2: West-Case Scenario – Original Sin tie-in! When Matt learns something about his past that’s too terrible to accept, he seeks out his mother- only to find her in more trouble than he could possibly have imagined. It’s the untold story of how Matt Murdock’s mother became Sister Maggie, as her biggest sin is finally revealed! Collects Daredevil Vol. 4 #6-10, 1.50.
- Daredevil Vol. 3: The Daredevil You Know – Daredevil’s recent traumas have left him coping in an unexpected way! A mystery that’s been building since issue one starts to pay off big! San Francisco now has TWO men without fear — and only one will be left standing! Collects Daredevil Vol. 4 #11-15.
- Daredevil Vol. 4: The Autobiography of Matt Murdock – In order to preserve the new life he’s built, Daredevil is faced with a critical decision which may mean the death of Matt Murdock! Plus, with a new rival in town, is DD’s time in San Francisco coming to an end? Collects Daredevil Vol. 4 #15.1, 16-18.
Waid and Samnee’s acclaimed, Eisner Award-winning run reaches its dramatic conclusion. Collects Daredevil vol. 3 #28-36; Indestructible Hulk #9-10; Daredevil vol. 4 #1-18, #1.50, #0.1, #15.1.
All-New All-Different Marvel with Charles Soule (2015-2018)
After a detour by San Francisco, Matt Murdock is back in New York under Charles Soule for the All-New All-Different Marvel Iniative. A relaunch, a new entry point. Daredevil has a new costume, an apprentice and is back to « edgier » stories.
- Daredevil: Back in Black, Vol. 1: Chinatown – Daredevil is back in black and back on his home turf, as Matt Murdock begins a fresh life once again! He may have returned to New York City, but Matt’s on a different side of the law now, with a job in the District Attorney’s office. And he’s finding his new career quite the challenge, as even his incredible skills aren’t enough to indict the local crime lord known as Tenfingers. Collects Daredevil Vol. 5 #1-5, All-New All-Different Marvel Point One #1 (“Blindspot”) .
- Daredevil: Back in Black, Vol. 2: Supersonic – Matt Murdock is back in his old stomping grounds of New York City, and somehow he has managed to hide his secret identity from the world once again. But there are some parts of his past that Matt can never escape. Ghosts like the first woman he ever loved and lost. Now, Elektra Natchios is back in the Big Apple and she’s got a deadly score to settle with the Man Without Fear! Collects Daredevil Vol. 5 #6-9, Annual #1.
- Daredevil: Back in Black, Vol. 3: Dark Art – Losing a big case has landed A.D.A. Matt Murdock in hot water with the city, leaving him less time to clean up the streets as Daredevil. But as his protégé Blindspot tries to pick up the slack, the young hero might be in over his head when he stumbles upon a horrific crime scene. Collects Daredevil Vol. 5 #10-14.
- Daredevil: Back in Black, Vol. 4: Identity – There’s a bounty on Daredevil ‘s head big enough to bring out every contract killer in New York City. And you’ll never believe who the client is! A man who never misses and only needs to pull the trigger once sets his sights on Matt Murdock. Collects Daredevil Vol. 5 #15-20.
- Daredevil: Back in Black, Vol. 5: Supreme – Matt Murdock takes his fight to the grandest stage of all: the Supreme Court! Can Matt Murdock defend his new law, while Daredevil defends his life? Collects Daredevil Vol. 5 #21-28.
- Daredevil: Back in Black, Vol. 6: Mayor Fisk – Wilson Fisk is now the city’s newly elected mayor! As mayor, he has declared Daredevil public enemy number one. With the police gunning for him, the Man Without Fear has nowhere left to hide – so what can one man do? Collects Daredevil Vol. 5 #595-600.
- You can also find Daredevil for another team-up, in Defenders Vol. 1: Diamonds Are Forever and Defenders Vol. 2: Kingpins of New York, written by Brian Michael Bendis.
- Daredevil: Back in Black, Vol. 7: Mayor Murdock – When the former Kingpin falls victim to a deadly ambush by the Hand, Daredevil finds himself back in the fight. Now, he must gather allies – both as Daredevil and Matt Murdock – in the face of an overwhelming enemy. Collects Daredevil Vol. 5 #600-605.
- Hunt for Wolverine: Weapon Lost – Where’s Wolverine? That’s what Daredevil wants to know! To resolve this mystery, DD assembles a random squad of uncanny detectives to track down Logan: Misty Knight, the Inhuman Frank McGee, and the mutant known as Cypher! Collects Hunt For Wolverine 1, Hunt For Wolverine: Weapon Lost 1-4
- Daredevil: Back in Black, Vol. 8: Death of Daredevil – Thanks to the Inhuman called Reader, the “twin brother” Mike Murdock is now flesh and blood! Much more than just Daredevil’s alter-alter ego, Mike has motivations of his own…and all the cunning and skill of his “brother” Matt at his disposal to make his dreams come to fruition. Collects Daredevil Vol. 5 #606-612, Annual #1 (2018)
Interlude With Jed Mackay and Chip Zdarsky
Following the Death of Daredevil, a transition phase for the Devil of Hell’s Kitchen with a miniserie, a volume celebrating the Marvel Knight imprint for its 20th anniversary and War of Realms.
- Man Without Fear : The Death of Daredevil – Daredevil is gone, but Hell’s Kitchen is still a place of heroes and villains. Foggy Nelson, the Defenders, the many loves of Matt Murdock, the Kingpin and a mysterious Guardian Devil will all learn what it means to live in a world without a Daredevil. Collects Man Without Fear (2019) #1-5.
- Marvel Knights 20th – A celebration of the legendary imprint founded two decades ago by Marvel’s CCO Joe Quesada. In the cemetery, the blind man does not know who he is, or why he has come to this particular grave. He doesn’t know the burly policeman. Or the strangely intense man who sits in the rear seat of the patrol car. Together, these individuals face a mystery that can only be unraveled…a threat that can only be challenged…by Knights. Collects Marvel Knights 20th #1-6.
- War of the Realms: Spider-Man/Daredevil – Daredevil becomes the God Without Fear during this Thor event. Collects War of the Realms: Spider-Man & The League of the Realms #1-3 and material from War of the Realms: War Scrolls #1-3. The main event is more than optional for Daredevil readers.
Chip Zdarsky Era (2019-)
A new relaunch for Daredevil in 2019 by writer Chip Zdarsky.
- Daredevil by Chip Zdarsky Vol. 1: Know Fear – Matt Murdock has clawed his way through physical therapy, but his near death experience that nearly left him crippled has left its mark on him. Reacquainted with pain and fear, the devil is back in hell’s kitchen, but is the man who returned to the rooftops the same man who fell off them? Collects Daredevil Vol. 6 #1-5.
- Daredevil by Chip Zdarsky Vol. 2: No Devils, Only God – The ground of Hell’s Kitchen has shifted and Matthew Murdock has emerged a changed man…but for better or worse? Don’t miss the second installment of this new arc: “No Gods, Only Devils”! Collects Daredevil Vol. 6 #6-10.
- Daredevil by Chip Zdarsky Vol. 3: Through Hell – As Matt Murdock struggles with his inner demons, Detective Cole North continues hunting the vigilantes of New York. And his first target is…Spider-Man! Collects Daredevil Vol. 6 #11-15.