A movie adaptation of The Gray Man, with Christopher McQuarrie attached to direct, might come soon in a theater near you. But first, the books … as always.
Who’s the Gray Man?
Mark Greaney is a writer mostly know for his work with (and without) Tom Clancy on the Jack Ryan (jr) book series. Of course, he also writes his own book series.
The story focuses on Court Gentry. A few years ago, he was the CIA’s best covert asset. Then, without warning, his masters at the Agency put him at the top of their kill list. Court fled his country and became an enigmatic killer for hire known as the Gray Man.
Court Gentry/Gray Man Books in Order:
- The Gray Man – To those who lurk in the shadows, he’s known as the Gray Man. He is a legend in the covert realm, moving silently from job to job, accomplishing the impossible and then fading away. And he always hits his target. Always. But there are forces more lethal than Gentry in the world. And in their eyes, Gentry has just outlived his usefulness…
- On Target – When an old comrade Court Gentry (aka the Gray Man) thought dead returns to haunt him, his own life is put in the crosshairs. The man wants Court to complete a mission, with one crucial catch to his orders: Instead of a difficult assassination, the job will entail a near impossible kidnapping – and Court must return his quarry to the very CIA team that turned on him.
- Ballistic – Years before, Eddie Gamboa had saved Court Gentry’s life. Now, Eddie has been murdered by the notorious Mexican drug cartel he fought to take down. And Court – aka the Gray Man – soon finds himself drawn into a war he never wanted. But in this war, there are no sides – only survivors…
- Dead Eye – Court Gentry has always prided himself on his ability to disappear at will, to fly below the radar and exist in the shadows – to survive as the near-mythical Gray Man. But when he takes revenge upon a former employer who betrayed him, he exposes himself to something he’s never had to face before: a killer who is just like him.
- Back Blast – Determined to find out what made the Agency turn against him, the Gray Man plans to get his hands on the men who sent him on his last mission, Operation BACK BLAST. What he doesn’t realize is that the questions that arose from his time as an American assassin are still reverberating in the U.S. intelligence community, and he’s stumbled onto a secret that powerful people want kept under wraps.
- Gunmetal Gray – After five years on the run Court Gentry – aka the Gray Man – is back on the inside at the CIA. But his first mission makes him wish he had stayed on the outs when a pair of Chinese agents try to take him down in Hong Kong. Normally the Chinese prefer to stay eyes-only on foreign agents. So why are they on such high alert?
- Agent In Place – Fresh off his first mission back with the CIA, Court Gentry – aka the Gray Man – secures what seems like a cut-and-dried contract job: A group of expats in Paris hires him to kidnap the mistress of Syrian dictator Ahmed Azzam to get intel that could destabilize Azzam’s regime.
- Mission Critical – Court Gentry’s flight on a CIA transport plane is interrupted when a security team brings a hooded man aboard. They want to kick Gentry – aka the Gray Man – off the flight but are overruled by CIA headquarters. The mystery man is being transported to England where a joint CIA/MI6 team will interrogate him about a mole in Langley.