Chances are, if you liked The Mortal Instruments, The Caster Chronicles series is for you.
What are the Caster Chronicles about?
The Caster Chronicles is a young adult southern gothic fantasy series written by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. The books are told from the viewpoint of the male protagonist.
It comprises two series: Beautiful Creatures and it spin-off set in the same universe, Dangerous Creatures. Everything begun with Ethan Waite, a 16-year-old boy who wants to leave his small South Carolina town, but everything changes when he falls in love with Lena Duchannes, a girl who belongs to a secret section of humanity—called Casters—who is capable of magic.
The Caster Chronicles Books in Order:
1. The Beautiful Creatures Series
- Beautiful Creatures — Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she’s struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. Ethan Wate is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town’s oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
- Beautiful Darkness — Together, Ethan and Lena can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away. And now that Ethan’s eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there’s no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town’s tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems.
- Dream Dark — Short Story set before the third novel. Wounded during a climactic battle, Link discovers that tending his injuries won’t be as simple as visiting a doctor and that healing his arm should be the least of his worries. For being bitten by a Supernatural does more than break the skin—it changes a person, inside and out, turning Link into someone more and more like the dark creature who injured him.
- Beautiful Chaos — Ethan Wate thought he was getting used to the strange, impossible events happening in Gatlin, his small Southern town. But now that Ethan and Lena have returned home, strange and impossible have taken on new meanings. Swarms of locusts, record-breaking heat, and devastating storms ravage Gatlin. Even Lena’s family of powerful Supernaturals is affected. What—or who—will need to be sacrificed to save Gatlin?
- Beautiful Redemption — When Ethan awakes after the chilling events of the Eighteenth Moon, he has only one goal: to find a way to return to Lena and the ones he loves. On her side, Lena is making her own bargains for Ethan’s return, vowing to do whatever it takes—even if that means trusting old enemies or risking the lives of the family and friends Ethan left to protect. Worlds apart, Ethan and Lena must once again work together to rewrite their fate.
2. The Spin-off, Dangerous Creatures
- Dangerous Dream — Short story. Catch up with Ethan, Lena, and Link as they finally graduate from high school and get ready to leave the small Southern town of Gatlin. But when Dark Caster Ridley makes an appearance, the sometime bad girl can’t resist picking a fight with her sometime boyfriend, Link. Angry and rebellious as ever, Ridley ends up alone in New York City and becomes entangled in the dangerous underground Caster club scene.
- Dangerous Creatures — Ridley Duchannes is a Siren. She can make you do anything. You can’t trust her, or yourself when she’s around. And she’ll be the first to tell you to stay away—especially if you’re going to do something as stupid as fall in love with her. Lucky for Ridley, her wannabe rocker boyfriend, Wesley “Link” Lincoln, never listens to anyone, and he takes her along when he leaves small-town Gatlin to New York City to follow his rock-star dream. Soon Ridley realizes that Link’s bandmates are keeping secrets and what she discovers is worse than she could have imagined…
- Dangerous Deception — After a disastrous car crash outside New York City, Ridley has gone missing. Link was driving, and when he comes to, Ridley is nowhere to be found. The only clue is the giant raven emblazoned on the hood of the truck that hit them, which can mean only one thing: Silas Ravenwood is back. And he has Ridley. Now, Link must to everything to find Ridley.
Thanks to my friend Carole for writing this guide.