By the author of the Joanna Brady series…
Who is Ali Reynolds?
Written by American author Judith Ann (J. A.) Jance, the Ali Reynolds series is about a former Los Angeles news anchor turned mystery solver.
Everything began with a cheating husband and the ending of a high-profile broadcasting—because TV executives who wanted a “younger face.” For Ali Reynolds the need to leave LA in order to start again puts her on the path to become a detective.
Ali Reynolds Books in Order:
- Edge of Evil – With a divorce from her cheating husband of ten years pending and her high-profile broadcasting career abruptly ended, Alison Reynolds feels there’s nothing keeping her in LA any longer. Summoned back home to Sedona, Arizona, by the death of a childhood friend, she launches an on-line blog as therapy for others who have been similarly cut loose. Suddenly something dark and deadly is swirling around her life.
- Web of Evil – In the suffocating stillness of a car trunk, a man waits to learn his fate. Fortunately for him, he’ll never know. Ali Reynolds is traveling that same blistering, lonesome highway, looking forward to putting her past behind her. As she passes the site of a horrifying accident, she’s thankful it’s no longer her job to report the news. Until she finds out the news is her own: the victim is her husband.
- Hand of Evil – Starting with a crime so gruesome even prowling coyotes keep their distance from the remains, a killer begins crisscrossing the Southwest on a spree of grisly murders. A hundred miles away, Ali receives a startling call: a friend’s teenage daughter has disappeared. Ali offers to help.
- Cruel Intent – A vengeful computer hacker is playing games with people’s lives…and deaths. Ali Reynolds just wants a break from excitement. In the midst of a remodel, the last thing she expects is a murder investigation that will stop the construction on her home. But when the savagely murdered body of stay-at-home mom Morgan Forester is found, Ali’s contractor Bryan is the prime suspect.
- Trial by Fire -Taking on a media relations position with the Yavapai County Police Department, Ali puts her reporting (and crime solving) skills to good use… When a subdivision-in-the-making goes up in flames, everyone hopes that the unfinished, unoccupied homes will yield no victims. But one woman is found barely alive. Ali is called upon to grant this dying woman’s final wishes—to find the people who saved her life, and the people who tried to kill her.
- Fatal Error – Ali Reynolds begins the summer thinking her most difficult challenge will be surviving a six-week-long course as the lone forty-something female at the Arizona Police Academy. However, when Brenda Riley, a colleague from Ali’s old news broadcasting days in California, shows up in town with an alcohol problem and an unlikely story about a missing fiancé, Ali reluctantly agrees to help.
- Left for Dead – When deputy sheriff Jose Reyes, one of Ali Reynolds’s classmates from the Arizona Police Academy, is gunned down and left to die, he is at first assumed to be an innocent victim of the drug wars escalating across the border. But the crime scene investigation shows there’s much more to it than that, and soon he and his pregnant wife, Teresa, are both under suspicion. Ali owes Reyes a debt of gratitude for the help he gave her years earlier. When she’s summoned to his bedside at Mercy Medical Center in Tucson, it’s impossible for Ali to turn away.
- Deadly Stakes – Ali Reynolds finds herself working against the police to add up the clues that connect one frightened teenager, two dead bodies, and $300,000…with the body count rising.
- Moving Target – Lance Tucker, an incarcerated juvenile offender and talented hacker in his own right, is set on fire one night and severely burned while hanging Christmas decorations in a lockup rec room. B. Simpson, Ali Reynolds’s fiancé and the man who helped put Lance in jail, feels obliged to get to the bottom of what happened.
- A Last Goodbye (short story) – Ali Reynolds is finally getting married to her longtime love B. Simpson. They wanted a simple Christmas Eve wedding, but nothing is ever simple with Ali.
- Cold Betrayal – Married life agrees with Ali. But any hopes that she and her husband will finally slow down are dashed when Ali’s new daughter-in-law approaches her, desperate for help. The girl’s grandmother, Betsy, is in danger: she’s been receiving anonymous threats, and someone even broke into her home and turned on the gas burners in the middle of the night.
- No Honor Among Thieves (short story) – featuring Sheriff Joanna Brady. When a truck crashed through the guardrail, its payload wound up scattered all over the road—boxes upon boxes of Legos. Legos that are being tracked by B. Simpson’s security firm to reduce black market sales—and Ali Reynolds is just the woman to get to the bottom of the crime.
- Clawback – When Ali’s parents lose their life savings to a Ponzi scheme, her father goes to confront his longtime friend and financial advisor, only to stumble upon the scene of a bloody double homicide. With her father suddenly a prime suspect, Ali and her husband work to clear his name and seek justice for her parents, as well as the rest of the scheme’s suddenly impoverished victims.
- Random Acts (short story) – Sheriff Joanna Brady’s mother and stepfather’s RV ran off the road at high speed and hit the pillar of an overpass. Something about the accident seems suspicious, though, and when Joanna gets a call from Ali Reynolds, she accepts her offer to help.
- Man Overboard – Cybersecurity expert Roger McGeary falls from the balcony of his suite on an all-expenses-paid cruise, the police quickly dismiss it as an accident. Roger’s aunt contacts Stuart Ramey to help her solve the mystery of his fate. Stuart, his sidekick Cami Lee, and Ali Reynolds put their resources together in order to learn the truth about Roger’s death.
- Duel to the Death – After taking down the man responsible for his best friend’s death, Stuart Ramey believes the case is finally closed. That is, until Stu discovers he’s been left with a multimillion dollar fortune in Bitcoin in a desperate attempt by Frigg, a rogue A.I. program created by the killer, to keep itself from being fully deactivated. To take Frigg down for good, Stu enlists the help of Ali Reynolds and the rest of his cyber security colleagues at High Noon Enterprises.
- The A List – The death of an old friend brings Ali Reynolds back to the last story she ever reported: a feel-good human interest piece about a young man in need of a kidney to save his life, which quickly spiraled into a medical mismanagement scandal that landed a prestigious local doctor in prison for murder. Years may have passed, but Dr. Edward Gilchrist has not forgotten those responsible for his downfall.